The early spark of the life of St. Andrew's Parish began with the missionary zeal of the Reverend David B. Knickerbacker, then Rector of Gethsemane Parish in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Attached to the needs of the northern section of the city he began by holding services in a schoolhouse in 1858. A church building was erected on Washington and Seventh Avenue North, consecrated by Bishop Whipple on September 6, 1870. Church services were held under the direction of Rev. Dr. Knickerbacker until September 1875 when the name was changed to St. Andrew's. A vestry was elected, and the parish admitted to Convention on September 28, 1875.